Tuesday, February 28, 2012

W8: O'Betty's Review


When I was walking to O' Betty’s on Union, I did not know what to expect. All I heard was that they serve some of the best hot dogs around, which was not important to me because I never cared for hot dogs and do not eat them. When I walked in, I saw a counter with bar stools, a couple booths, and some small tables scattered throughout the tiny restaurant. The décor and atmosphere of O' Betty’s is tacky and cheesy to say the least, but that is what made it a fun place. A restaurant that serves hot dogs is not going to be complete with somber music, a water fountain, candles, and fancy table clothes. Instead its ceilings are decorated with fake roses. Its walls are decorated with old pictures of flappers, and its booths are of cheetah pattern material complete with cheetah-patterned pillows.

Everything was very informal. The servers dressed in regular clothes, and we could here the cooks laughing it up in the kitchen. The customers eating looked to be enjoying them selves, as they would talk loudly amongst the others sitting at their table. The servers were really good about taking down everyone’s order, filling up drinks, answering questions, and bringing the checks out in a fast and orderly manner. That was impressive considering the place was absolutely packed.

The food arrived really fast, between five and ten minutes per order. I can’t say personally how good the food was, but the walls were covered with awards for “best hot dog” from many years, including 2011. The people at my table who did order food seemed to really enjoy their meals. Words like “delicious” and “really good” and “the best hot dog I ever had” were being tossed around quite frequently at our table, and many said that they would definitely be returning for more hot dogs in the future. The food was also really cheap for the amount of portions each meal had. No wonder college kids love this place.

All in all, O' Betty’s is a great place for anyone who wants a delicious cheap hot dog. They also serve sausages, bratwurst, and a whole array of fries, ranging from plain to garlic, to spicy.  I must say, the food did look delicious, and I just might reconsider my stance of not liking hot dogs. At least until I try one of O' Betty’s famous wieners.

No comments:

Post a Comment